Taking a SecureProctor Enabled Exam on D2L LMS with New Learner Experience
This article will explain the process and steps for a student to take an exam on a D2L BrightSpace Exam with New Learner Experience where the proctoring is being done by SecureProctor Chrome Extension.
How to identify New Learner Experience is enabled for an Exam on the D2L LMS?
- Go to the Content Section of your course on the D2L LMS
- If the contents of the Quiz looks like:
New Learner Experience is enabled.
- Else click here to know about the How to take an SecureProctor enabled exam on the Default view of the D2L LMS
Pre-requisites for taking the Exam
To start the examination and the Proctoring via SecureProctor, candidates need to make sure that they have the following aspects in place:
- Candidates are required to sit in a well lit place
- Internet bandwidth of at least 1Mbps is required
- Before starting the exams, candidates should have the following chrome extensions installed on their Chrome browser:
- SecureProctor Chrome Extension
- Mettl Screen sharing Chrome Extension
Students need to check the following system checks before taking the exam:
Windows OS and Mac OS
Latest version of Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge
Exam Entry Process
On the day of the exam, the candidates should follow the following steps to get started with the Proctoring and their tests on their respective learning management systems:
- Login to your D2L Learning Management System
- Go to the exam/quiz in the course where you are to take the exam and go to the Content Section.
- Make sure that you have the SecureProctor Chrome Extension installed on your browser.
- Once you have the Extension installed, click on the SecureProctor tool present in the unit.
- After clicking on the tool, verify that you have logged in the SecureProctor Extension.
After logging in, go to the Quiz which you want to attempt and click on the "Reload" button.
Make sure the Quiz you are trying to attempt, and the Quiz name in the Description are the same.
- After you click on Refresh, a pop-up will appear indicating that the quiz is proctored and will be monitored via Mercer | Mettl
- After this, click on “Continue” to launch the diagnostic tab where the system will go through an automatic system compatibility test check, prior to beginning the exam
- The second check in the process checks that your screen sharing has been enabled. Ensure that the Mettl Screen sharing chrome extension has been installed in your browser, select the screen you want to share and click on “Share” to proceed.
- If you do not have the Mettl Screen Sharing Chrome Extension installed at this point, you will be prompted to do so.
- If the you are taking the test on MacOS, please ensure that in addition to installing the Mettl Screen Sharing Chrome Extension, you will also need to enable Screen Sharing permissions under Security & Privacy in System Preferences on your Mac.
The 3rd system check will be for a working Webcam and Microphone. The system will ask you for permission to access your webcam and microphone.
If you do not give your permission at this stage, you will not be able to start the proctoring and thus will not be able to take the exams.
- Once the system checks have been completed, you will enter the Authorization Phase of the process. Here, you will be asked to submit a photo of yourself as well as a photo of your ID card. Once that is complete, an examiner will review your identification and allow you back into the learning management system, for you to proceed with your examination.
- Once the system checks have been completed, you will enter the Authorization Phase of the process.
- If Manual Authorization feature is turned on for a quiz, a Human Authorizer views and verify the information submitted by the candidate(on the SecureProctor Dashboard), only upon his approval the candidate is allowed to proceed.At this step the candidate is supposed to wait to get authorized and wait for Authorizer’s instructions.
- After completing your System Checks and ID Authentication, the message below will appear and you can now proceed back to your learning management system to begin your examination. You will be automatically re-directed to the D2L LMS to continue with your exam.
- Click “Begin Quiz” to start your examination.
- Should the examiners have any clarifications or need to speak to you, they will do so via the chat box present in the examination screen. So do keep a look out for any chat notifications from your examiners.
- Once you have complete your exam, simply submit your quiz by selecting “Submit” and test will be submitted and Proctoring will also stop.
How to reach out to Mettl for any issues/Clarifications
To reach out to Mettl, drop an Email to email@example.com or you can click on the SecureProctor tool present in your course and go through the instructions .