How do I start my test?
There are 4 types of test on the Mettl platform, please click on the relevant option below to understand how to start your test:
- Attempting a non-proctored test
- Attempting a proctored test on MSB
- Attempting a non-proctored test on MSB
Test link not
Please check the
email from email@example.com
in your inbox. If not able to locate the email in inbox, please check the
same on spam/junk folder.
If you have not received any email regarding test, kindly connect with the organization/team/university/person
who initially shared the test information with you.
What are the system requirements to attempt a test? How do I check if my system is compatible?
Please refer to the system requirements for test here. In case you have received an invitation email from your test administrator, via firstname.lastname@example.org , click on the “Check System Compatibility” button. Clicking the button will launch a compatibility check process. Please follow the step by step instructions.
- If your system is compatible, it will show the message “Looks Great the Test will run just fine on this computer”.
- If you get an error, please proceed as per the error message on the screen or get in touch with Mettl support team or your test administrator
What is a proctored test/non-proctored test
Mettl’s non-proctored test does not need any special software or hardware to launch and
can be attempted in a minimum network bandwidth of 256 kbps. An integrated
web-cam will not be required to launch this test on your system.
Mettl’s proctored tests are usually run on a web-cam integrated computer and the you
can be monitored by an external proctor using your live-video feed. Please
ensure you have an uninterrupted network bandwidth of 512 kbps during the test. Also,
please note that:
Mettl Proctored Assessments are not
supported on Mobile devices (eg. Cellphone / Smartphones / Pads / Tablets)
Mettl Secure Browser is a web-based lockdown browser that converts any system into a safe workstation.
- It does not allow you to move out of the test window before the test is finished. It also restricts you from opening any unauthorized website or accessing any blacklisted software/third party applications.
- MSB also shuts down all active applications, such as other browsers and cheating tools.
How do I get the setup file for Mettl Secure Browser?
There are two ways you can download the MSB setup file(.exe file)
Open the test URL, provided by your test administrator, in a web browser(Chrome, Firefox etc.). Click on Launch Test button
- You will now see two options on the window: “DOWNLOAD MSB” and “PROCEED to TEST”. Click on "Download MSB" to save the exe file on your computer
- In case you have received an invitation email from your test administrator, via email@example.com , click on the button to download MSB available in the email body.
What are the steps to install and run the Mettl Secure Browser?
Please refer to the article here to know how to install and run MSB.
I have installed the MSB, how do I proceed from there?
Click on the below links to understand the process of attempting a test in MSB
- Attempting a proctored test on MSB
- Attempting a non-proctored test on MSB
I am not able to launch test on MSB, its being crashed?
Please update your Operating System before installing and
launching MSB and Make sure there are no pending updates in your operating
system. Disable the antivirus in your computer before installing and launching
the MSB. Once you have successfully installed MSB on your computer, your test
will automatically now be launched in the secured/locked-down environment of
No activity after clicking on start test in MSB?
Please check if
there is any anti-virus software in the system. If there is any anti-virus
software in the system, please disable the anti-virus, reinstall MSB and
restart the process to start the test.
I am not able to share my screen?
If you are using a Mozilla Firefox, a dialogue box with a message stating “Will you allow tests.mettl.com to see your screen” will pop-up. From the drop down select “Entire Screen” as shown in the below screenshot.
If you are using Google Chrome, you must click at the center of the screen as shown below for the “Share” button to get highlighted. Then click on the "Share" button
I am facing issue is downloading the Mettl Extension for screen sharing on Google Chrome.
This may be due to below possible reasons
- You may be using incognito mode of the browser. In such case, you need to allow extension in incognito mode as well.
- You may not have admin rights to install extension (in case you are using a system provided by your office) Contact your administrator and get the extension installed.
- If you are using your own/personal system, ensure that you are logged in as an administrator.
Alternatively, If you are logged in the systems as a user with rights to install applications, we would suggest you copy and paste the below URL into the address bar of
On the following screen, click on ADD TO CHROME button in order to add the extension. (as shown below)
If you still face any difficulties in installing the extension, try attempting your test on the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, which does not require any extension download
I am getting a “Video Streaming Error”?
This error occurs usually when there are restrictions applied on the network or on system being used. Kindly follow the below steps to resolve the issue:
- Disable the firewall/antivirus (if any) on your computer.
- Make sure that you are using a network which has no website restrictions.
- If the issue persists, try using a different internet connection.
I have functioning Webcam and Microphone and Mettl tests to access it, but I am unable to start my test
Kindly follow the below mentioned step to resolve the issue.
- Click on the Camera icon on the top right side of the address bar in order to allow tests.mettl.com to access the Camera on Chrome.
- Click on the lock icon on the top left side of the address bar in order to allow the Camera and Microphone to be used in the Browser
- Once done, refresh the page by pressing F5 key on the Keyboard.
Note: If you are not getting the camera icon on the right-hand side of the screen, check if your camera is working. It also might be possible that any third party application is using it (like skype, live chat app etc.)
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then Proceed with the below advanced troubleshooting steps
If you are using Windows 10/8.1/8, then type Camera in the Windows Search bar and click on the Camera App to open it.
- On opening the Camera app, if you are able to see your image, camera is working fine.
- If you are prompted to "close other apps in the Camera app", your camera is being used by other 3rd party applications like Skype or Facebook Chat etc. Try closing the 3rd party apps.
- If in the Camera App you are prompted "We Can’t Find your Camera", it is possibly due to an OS issue or System Drivers issue or a Hardware issues. You may have to get this checked with your Hardware Administrator or try changing your system
- If you are using Windows 7, open a new Window in Google Chrome/Firefox browser and go to https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test/
- You will be able to see a black box with a play button. Click on the play button and allow the Camera Permission if you are able to see your image, camera is working fine.
- To check your Microphone, hover the mouse on the tool option on the left side of the page and select Microphone Test. This will take you to a new page with a similar box with play button in it.
- On clicking the Play button, if you see a distorted line, your Microphone is working fine. If not, your microphone is not working due to a Hardware or the System Drivers issue. You may have to get this checked with your Hardware Administrator or try changing your system
Note: Antivirus also can block the access of Webcam. If there is any antivirus installed in the system, disable the antivirus and its protection. If you are using an office laptop then you have to get in touch with your office's IT administrator.
Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of the screen and select System Preferences.
- Select Security and Privacy. Go to Privacy option.
- In the Privacy Pane, on the left side of the screen, select the Camera Option and then from the apps must select the Chrome/Firefox browse.
- Use Force Quit to close all applications and then try for the test again.
Follow above steps for a microphone as well.
Using Mettl Secure Browser:
There are no permission issues for Camera and Microphone within MSB. If you are facing issues, it may be because of
- Camera or Microphone are not in working condition.
- Appropriate resolution from the Camera is not available.
- Any other hardware issue.
- Any Third-party app is using Camera or Microphone.
To check the Camera and Microphone working condition follow below mentioned steps.
- Close all the applications which might be using Camera and Microphone.
- Open the OS "C: drive"of the Windows.
- Open Program Files(X86) folder or Program Files.
- Open the Mettl Folder
- Open MSB Folder in the Mettl Folder.
- In the MSB Folder, Open the SebWindowsBrowser folder.
- Open the xulrunner folder in the SebWindowsBrowser folder.
- Open Firefox from the xulrunner folder.
- Once the Firefox is Open, in the address bar type test.webrtc.org
- You will be asked to give permission for Camera and Microphone.
- If the Camera and Microphone are in working condition, then there will green tick mark against "Microphone and Webcam"as shown in the Image below
If not, you will be shown error, as seen below
I have been waiting for getting authorized for the test and getting the message “We are currently processing your authorization submission” or “You are in the queue. Please wait while your details are being authorized”
This message is displayed when your details are being validated or you are in the queue to be validated by the authorizer. Kindly wait for some more time in the queue for your submission to be processed.
Note: Your test timing is not impacted because of this as the timer starts when you see the first question of the test.
I am unable to start the test, getting the message “This Test has been deactivated”, What should I do?
This message is displayed when the time window for participation in the test has lapsed. We would suggest you connect with the same team/organization/university/person who shared the test information with you.
I am unable to start the test, getting the message “You are not an
active test taker”, What should I do?
This message displayed when the time window for participation in the
test has lapsed. We would suggest you connect with the same
team/organization/university/person who shared the test information with you.
I am unable to start the test, getting the message “Connection with Chat Server Failed”, What should I do?
This message is displayed when there is a restriction in the Network / System being used.
If you are not using an office system.
- Kindly disable the antivirus & firewall (If any).
- You can also try to switch to different internet connection.
- Try changing the system if the issue persists.
If you are using an Office system / Office Network.
Kindly connect with the IT team at your organization
I am unable to start the test as I am getting the message “Email Id not authorized”, What should I do?
This message is displayed if the email address entered by you is not mapped with the test by your test administrator or the value entered has some mistakes. Please follow the below steps
- Enter the email address on which the test invitation was sent.
- Enter the email address manually (type it in) rather than copy-pasting it. Ensure that there are not any spaces added as a prefix or suffix.
- Kindly check if there is any typing error while entering the email address.
I am unable to start the test as I am getting the message “This value does not match with records” What should I do?
This message is displayed when the entered value does not match the value provided for registration by your test administrator. Please follow the below steps
Enter the details on which you used while registering/shared with your test administrator
- Enter the details manually (type it in) rather than copy-pasting it. Ensure that there are not any spaces added as a prefix or suffix.
- Kindly check if there is any typing error while entering the details.
If the issue persists, kindly connect with the organization/team/university/person who initially shared the test information with you.
Why is the test resume button is not getting highlighted?
After internet disconnection, it usually takes 7-8 minutes for the Resume button to be enabled or turn blue. Kindly wait for this duration.
I am unable to start the test as I am getting the message “Older Browser Detected”. What should I do?
Please ensure that you have the latest version of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. If not, kindly update your browser to latest version.
I am unable to start the test as I am getting the message “We have detected multiple screen” What should I do?
You usually get this message when you have multiple screens connected while starting/attempting the test. Mettl's system consider this as a part of unfair means and as an anti-cheating measure, you are asked to remove multiple connected screens before starting the test
- If any external screen or any video cables like VGA/DVI/HDMI etc is connected to the system, kindly remove them.
- Press and Hold Windows Key and Press “P” and select PC Screen Only Option.
- Any application like Skype, TeamViewer etc which uses screen-sharing feature must be terminated.
I am unable to start the test as I am getting the message “You are not allowed to take the test from this location XXX.XXX.X.X”. What should I do?
This message is displayed when your test administrator has implied restrictions on the IP address from which you can attempt a test. This means, you can attempt test only on a few selected IP addresses.
To get more information, you can connect with the concerned person/team/organization.
I am unable to start the test as I am getting the message “This test will start on March XX, 2X2X at X PM(Asia/Kolkata)” What should I do?
This message is displayed when the test is being accessed before the scheduled start time. The scheduled time to start the test is also mentioned in the test invitation email or in the message displayed on the screen. Kindly start the test at the mentioned date and time.
I am stuck on “Test Page is Loading”, what should I do?
The issue might occur due to many possible reasons. Please try the following.
- Check Internet Connectivity.
- Hard Shutdown and then try.
- Try after clearing Cache & Cookies of the browser.
- Switch to Firefox from Chrome or vice versa.
I am unable to type in my responses on the text box provided?
Please follow the below mentioned steps.
- Hard Shutdown the system by pressing and holding the power button down.
- Reboot the system and check the version of the browser.
- Use an updated version of Chrome/Firefox after clearing cache and cookies of the browser.
Incorrect OTP entered.
Please Ensure that entered OTP is correct and Resend OTP option to
receive a new one in case previous OTP is not working.
I am unable to choose a different language to write the code.
There can be multiple reasons for this:
- The question type is supported for only that language.
- The test admin has restricted to only the set of languages available on the simulator.
If that's not the case, please follow the below mentioned steps.
- Hard Shutdown the system by pressing and holding the power button down.
- Reboot the system and check the version of the browser ensure that you are using the updated version of Chrome/Firefox after clearing cache and cookies of the browser.
I am shown the message “QR has expired”. What should I
You can generate a new QR code from your desktop device by clicking on
“Generate New QR Code” and proceed. Please ensure that you initiate the upload
of the captured image before the QR expires.
I am shown the message “Uploading Failed” on my mobile.
What should I do?
You have to check your internet connection and ensure you have a stable
internet connection and clear the cache of your smartphone’s browser.
Candidate account has been locked.
Your will receive an email in your registered email id for
password rese. Kindly reset your
password and the login into the account from the updated password. In case
password not received, click on forgot password tab in login page to get
password reset email.
password for my login id.
Kindly reset the account
password by clicking on forgot password and follow the instructions.
What are modes of payment through which payment can
be made to appear for certification?
If the payment has to be made in INR then following are
the payment modes available:
(c ) HDFC
(d) Net banking
If it is USD
then only available mode is PayPal.
from the bank account and assessment did not enabled?
Kindly write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and
share your transaction details Like Transaction ID, mode of payment and mention
your account login URL. You can also share bank statement as well.