Auto-Forget Inactive test takers' data from Mercer|Mettl platform is a powerful feature that allows
administrators to automatically delete user data from the platform after a
certain period. We will be using the Anonymization of the Test Takers as a route to delete them from the platform.
Let’s dive right in to understand what the feature is.
What is the Auto-Forget feature?
The auto-forget feature in Mercer|Mettl is designed to periodically
remove inactive test takers' data like their reports, proctoring data, etc. from the platform. This feature ensures that test takers' data is only stored for
a limited period and is automatically deleted once the test takers are inactive.
1. It is important to note that the Auto-forget Inactive Test Taker feature
should be used with caution as once deleted, the test takers’ data is
irretrievable. We will share email communications highlighting who will be auto-forgotten 1 week before the activity.
2. This feature is enabled only for Enterprise accounts as of now.
What are the Inactivity criteria?
The inactivity of a test taker in Mercer|Mettl is defined as the passing
of the following criteria for some time:
attempts on any test.
2. No resumption of an unfinished test.
3. No regrade of any Test Report.
This definition of inactivity serves as the criteria for the Auto-Forget
feature to determine which test takers' data will be deleted from the
Who can access
The Auto-forget feature in Mercer|Mettl, which has a major impact on how test takers use the platform, is only
available to a limited number of users. Mercer Mettl has a concept of Teams,
which is a collection of users who can interact with the platform according to
their roles. These teams also have their own set of Tests, Test Takers, and Team admins. For every team, the Auto-forget feature can only be managed
by the Team Admin and their Account Owner. Other team members or sub-users do
not have access to this feature.
The role of a team admin cannot be changed.
How to Access Functionality?
Team Admins must
follow the navigation to reach the setting:
1. Click on
the User Icon on the top menu bar
2. Hover over Account and click on Details
down to Data Security Setting
Post reaching this section, enable the Auto-Forget Inactive Test
Takers and input the number of days that will be used for
calculating eligible Inactive Test Takers. The dates and communications
involved have been explained in the next section.
Location in Account Settings
Auto-Forget Setting Schematic of Activation and Deactivation Process
What are the
The eligibility of Test Takers will be determined by using a value, X, entered by the team admins.
The calculation process is outlined in the following table:
Timelines for activity
|The date and time when the Team Admin activated
Activation Date Rounded
|The date remains the same, but the time is
rounded to 00:00:00 UTC
The number of days entered by the Team Admin in
|Cooling Off Period
A 90-day period during which the activity will
not occur. The cooling-off period will be reconsidered if the setting is disabled
and enabled again.
1st Inactivity Cut-off deactivate
Date Rounded + Cooling off – Days Input
1st Scheduled Date of activity all
|All the test takers that have been inactive post the 1st Inactivity Cut-off date would be deleted from the platform
2nd Inactivity Cut-off deactivate
Date Rounded + Cooling off – Days Input + 7 days
2nd Scheduled Date of activity all
All the test takers that have been inactive post the 2nd Inactivity Cut-off date would be deleted from the platform
Now, let’s explain
the timeline with an example:
Example with dates added
If you no longer need the Auto-Forget setting or want to take a break,
you can turn it off by using the toggle switch. Once it's turned off, any
future actions will be canceled, and the process will start over. Also, the
cooling-off period will be reset if the setting is re-enabled. Currently default cooling period is of 90 days.
As this setting
would impact the data of the Test Takers and their existence on the platform, weekly
communications would be shared with the admins about:
1. When will
the activity happen?
2. Who are eligible?
3. Who all
have been deleted?
4. What was
the status of the activity?
Here is a summary of all the communications that will happen over time. Also, all communications will happen to Team Admin, Account Owner, and
Summary of all communications
- Team Admins - TA
- Account Owner - AO
- Account Executive - AE
- Email sent when the setting is enabled and saved.
- Same communication will happen when the setting is disabled and re-enabled
2 weeks before the activity
- Sent 2 weeks before the scheduled activity.
- Only 1-time notification after enabling the setting.
- If the days in the setting are changed and saved, then this notification will not be shared.
1 week before activity
- Weekly email shared 1 week before the Auto-forget activity.
- It will contain a link to the test takers' email Ids who will be eligible for the activity next week.
- The link will be Mercer Mettl authenticated page where users will have to log in via their Team-account credentials.
- Shared in case of complete failure of the activity.
- Also, the test takers will be forgotten in next week’s cycle.
Status of activity
- Weekly email shared post the Auto-forget activity.
- It will also contain a link to test takers' email Ids who were forgotten in that week’s activity.
- The link will be Mercer Mettl authenticated page where the user will have to log in via their Team-account credentials.